Our games are developed using our proprietary cross-platform engine. Because the engine is created and supported in-house, we know it inside and out. We can customize it for the needs of a particular game, add features, fix problems, and prototype far more efficiently than would be possible with any off-the-shelf engine. Our tech has matured and evolved over eleven years of development, 8 platforms, and dozens of releases (including externally developed ports and sequels of our games).
Efficient Content Creation
One of the most unique features of the engine is the way that it revolves around efficient content creation and team collaboration. Perhaps the most critical challenge in game development is to create an efficient development process that allows team members to work independently, make iterative changes with rapid feedback, and integrate those changes into the game. Our developers spend their time creating game content, not waiting on builds or shared files. Our level design and build tools scale gracefully to huge teams and huge datasets.
In addition to fully interactive editors, which allow changes to be seen in the game in real time, any asset can be updated while the game is running. This reduces iteration time to almost nothing, dramatically improving productivity and quality.
Robust Build Process
- Fully automated
- Reliable & Reproducible—consistent builds from given source data
- Resilient—content errors detected and reported, without breaking builds
- Support for one or multiple localizations per SKU
- Automatically incorporates referenced data
- Automatically uses data referencing relationships to build dataset files, for fast loading
Seamlessly combines real-time and baked lighting, combining the benefits of interactivity with the quality and performance of precomputed Global Illumination.
Normal maps and specular are supported for both real-time and baked lighting, which is critical for combining great lighting and great surfacing.
Hundreds of shaders produce state-of-the art effects, including reflection, refraction, volumetric effects, skin with subsurface scattering, parallax mapping, 3D shaded particles, caustics, animated water, animated clouds, and whatever we dream up next.
View-dependent texture streaming enables extremely high detail textures, which is especially critical at HD resolutions.
HDR rendering with post effects, such as lens flare, tone mapping, depth-of-field, and motion blur.
Digital color processing enhances contrast and enables a variety of visual styles and moods.
General and dynamic occlusion culling works well indoors and outdoors.
Multi-threaded architecture is tuned for optimal performance on next-gen consoles.
This is our game object creation and scripting system, which enables artists and designers to directly implement game objects.
Object-oriented design enables massive reuse of game content within games and across games.
Creates optimal workflow. Common tasks can be performed with menu selections and filling out a form. Objects are plug-and-play. A smart object can be dropped into an area and perform complex interactions, without requiring tedious setup.
Build on growing object library
Dynamic scene management loading and unloading sections of the world, without a performance hit
Able to detect most common script errors at compile time. Run-time errors are handled gracefully, without breaking the game for the rest of the team.
Able to divide up levels hierarchically, for collaboration and streaming.
The fast way to do things is also the right way to do things. Prototypes created from standard building blocks form a solid foundation for the shipping game.
Integrated multi-player support. Selectable options on object attributes and script messages provide a seamless distributed object system that can easily extend single-player objects for multi-player support.
Streaming is a key feature of our engine. The following pieces of technology contribute to strong streaming support:
- Background loading
- Robust memory management, free from fragmentation problems
- Hierarchical levels, for scalable creation and zone loading
- Dynamic scene management loading and unloading sections of the world, without a performance hit
- Persistence system allows state to be maintained for unloaded sections
- Level of Detail support for objects and entire areas
- Intelligent texture streaming system invisibly loads high-resolution textures only near the camera, allowing for much higher texture and lighting detail, and much faster load times
- Platform-agnostic—currently supporting PC, XBox 360, and PS3.
- Service-agnostic—currently supporting Live and PSN. (i.e., Steam would be easy to add.)
- Online gameplay
- Online service management
- Object-oriented and high-level
- Small and large-scale worlds
- Rapid implementation and iteration
- TRC/TCR Compliant
- 1st-party vetted